Definitions under the 2003 Act
- The word “girl” includes “woman”: section 6(1).
- an great britain nationwide is somebody who is:
- a Uk resident, A uk international regions resident, A uk national (overseas) or perhaps a british citizen that is overseas
- an individual who underneath the British Nationality Act 1981 is a uk topic; or
- a British protected individual within this is of the Act: section 6(2).
- an uk resident is understood to be “an individual that is habitually resident when you look at the UK”. The expression “habitually resident” covers a man or woman’s ordinary residence, instead of a quick short-term stay static in a nation. To be constantly resident in britain it may never be needed for all, or any, regarding the amount of residence right here become legal. Whether you were habitually resident in britain should really be determined in the known facts of this situation.
You will find four FGM offences beneath the 2003 Act:
- The offence that is primary of: part 1
- assisting a woman to mutilate her own genitals: part 2
- assisting a person that is non-uk mutilate a girl’s genitals overseas: area 3; and
- failing continually to protect a lady through the danger of FGM: section 3A.